24 October 2014

October at a Glance

One fine, fancy morning before school
OCTOBER=Eid break, Talula's Birthday, Halloween and SAISA volleyball in India

OPTION 1: skip to the photos
OPTION 2: read Christine's ramblings and then look at the cute photos

The blur that was September and October is almost complete. I (Christine) have been coaching high school girls' volleyball until 6pm three nights during the school week, leaving Randy with lots of Anastasia/Talula time with only the weekends as recovery and catch-up periods. It's been crazy but I'm enjoying the play.

We had a nice little respite over Eid holiday at the beginning of October. We took one of the mornings to show the girls Lahore Fort which Randy and I had visited last year. It was a nice morning, the girls opted for fancy wear and thus we got a few cute pictures.

The weekend after we had 4 girls over for a playdate. Talula chose her best friend, Xenia, and Roshany and her sister came.  Anastasia had Maria over because we had been to Mahnoor's the weekend before. They had a good time drawing, dressing up and playing kitchen. Maria's mom stayed for a little while, but otherwise each mother/driver dropped off their daughter with a nanny. The adult:kid ratio was greater than one, so it was a very pleasant occasion. The reason for the playdate= avoidance of the full-out birthday party that is the norm here. I was not up for the bouncy house-magician-catered food-goody bags extravaganza that would be anticipated by every member of her class that would have to be invited. Talula didn't seem to mind :)

Halloween this year involved (past tense because Muharram is next weekend and we can't overlap the observed days) a trial dressing on Monday, an assembly on Thursday, the parade at school on Friday and will conclude with a Halloween party at Maria's compound.  Talula was a "sweet" Dracula and Anastasia was a fruit bat- although to most they probably simply appeared as a vampire and bat.

I was quite happy that Halloween was celebrated early because I will not be with the girls or Randy on the real day. I'll be with 11 LAS girls and my teaching/coaching partner in Mumbai for the SAISA (Southern Asia Inter-Scholastic Association) Girls' Volleyball tournament. I was getting a bit stressed because none of us had a visa for India until today. (I hugged our athletic director when she told me!) It would have been a major letdown to practice for 2 months and then...nothing. We played earlier in Islamabad against some other international schools in the area and WON! (check out Lahore American School on Facebook for some photos of me and the girls) I do not expect to win this coming week, but I do plan to have fun and watch LOTS of volleyball.

No comments: