24 January 2008

Our latest news, in three parts

I. The Little Baby Ball

Christine's doctor appointment went well; both mother and unborn baby are fine. Dr. Tank tried to find out the gender of the baby on the ultrasound, but she told us that the child was clinching its legs together (hiding its candy) and that the placenta was in the way.

II. School

Mid-term exams are finally over, and we're busy grading them (especially me! English teachers always have it rough). One of my students wrote her essay on new year's resolutions. The diction, vocabulary and overall voice and tone of "her" essay sounded like that of a middle-aged American woman in the cold north, not a sixteen-year-old Emirati girl. All it took was a quick Google search, and--surprise--I found the essay online. Along with her F, I gave the student a message at the bottom of her essay: Your new year's resolution SHOULD be not to plagiarize. Don't you just love it?

III. Our Neighborhood

There's a hole-in-the-wall bakery on the other side of the building across the street. The Afghani who works there has this big pit of fire, and he works above it all night long, making round bread "pita" style. It's not exactly pita bread; it's Afhani bread, and it's delicious, especially when it's fresh and warm. We like to eat it with hummous or as a wrap, with chicken or beans and cheese or whatever. I've also turned it into a pizza, putting some fresh cheese and tomatoes and basil on it. I went there today, and he was setting up. I tried to ask him when he would open, when the bread would be ready this evening. His answer: "Lurka turkey lurka." I guess that means try again later.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Glad to hear everything is going well.

Paula